Monday, October 29, 2012

Happy Monday: Upcycling

In case you're wondering (and you should be) upcycling is not cycling uphill. If you need more confirmation on that, speak to Lance Armstrong. He could probably give you a tip on performance enhancing drugs, too.

Upcycling is the act of not only recycling something, but re-using it to make something more useful/beautiful/creative than it would be if the materials were broken down and simply recycled.

 Recycling is so 2010.

Here is an example of upcycling: http://www.etsy.com/listing/111535173/peets-coffee-french-roast-purse?utm_source=googleproduct&utm_medium=syndication&utm_campaign=GPS&gclid=CNq3gbOjp7MCFQtxQgod9yEAbw

My mom bought me a bag similar to this, because she knows I am her planet Earth loving child, and I now use it to hold all my make-up, which is double good because the bag is easy to clean when I inevitably spill eyeshadow, foundation, or lip gloss inside the bag. (Me=problem child)

An even cooler example of upcycling is this chair. A friend of mine referenced me the link and I'm obsessed with how unique this chair is. That is cardboard...cardboard, people! Sheer brilliance.
I would like to say now that there is NO way I could ever make this chair. If you watch the video, you can tell that this guy knows a thing or two about physics and engineering- two things I know nothing about. I could, however, sit in the chair and help someone work through their feelings about upcycling, but that's about it.
In any case, one of the coolest things about the planet is that it's filled with a myriad of people and creativity that one never thought possible. Keep the planet going by supporting this cool chair, and other upcycling projects like it.

Happy Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment