Monday, August 6, 2012

In Session: Internal Power

I'm gonna try and get a little series started on here called "In Session".
As a Counselor in Training, I'm constantly learning about new ways to help my clients (and myself!) become the best versions of themselves. Although I can't share what happens in my sessions, I can share some of the powerful tools I'm adding to my mental health toolbox.

Today's post will be short, but in the future, I'm planning to cover some major stumbling blocks, strategies, and "aha!" moments that can help move people to new and wonderful changes.

Sometimes we just need a little something to latch onto. If life isn't going all, mashed potatoes and gravy, it can be imperative to have something as simple as, a little sunshine, a fab song on the radio or some kudos at work. Yet, the universe doesn't always listen to our cries for help and desperate pleas; "I promise to have a good day, be nice to everyone, not roll my eyes or curse out the idiots on the freeway, if you make something good happen today!!!"

Here are some words to remember:
Everything you need, is already within you.

Don't be shocked at how elementary that statement is. I swear counselors get paid for more than just saying Yoda type things like that.

But, think about it.

Everything you need, is already within you.

Are you angry?
You already have tools to change your attitude.

Did someone hurt your feelings?
You have the power to work on the relationship

Do you hate your job?
You have the resources to decide if you need to talk to your boss, or get the heck out (!)

Money, a boyfriend, losing 10 pounds, getting recognition from someone, a new house- there are all pretty cool, but they won't make you happy all by themselves. Life gets in the way somewhere between a raise and kicking butt in spinning class. And when it does, you have everything you need to deal, fix and get better.

Session Over. This one's on the house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment